Very good support structures are in place to provide for the well-being of students. Guidance, counselling and care strategies including Social, Personal and Health Education and Relationships and Sexuality Education programmes are in place. A core team meets weekly and coordinates follow-through on any issues which arise.
Guidance and Counselling
Due to Covid-19, the Guidance Counsellors Ms Crowe and Ms Mulhern are unable to host the annual Information Evening for the Parents of Leaving Certificate students.This Information Evening would normally be held early October and provides parents of Leaving Certificate students with an opportunity to address any queries that they have in relation to further and higher education.
The Guidance Counsellors have updated their presentation and this is available to view here.
Ms Crowe and Ms Mulhern will be available to take calls from parents who have any questions or would like further clarification on any part of the presentation.
Guidance & Counselling Department
Students will make significant decisions while at school.
These choices are focused on three key areas:
- Personal and Social
The aim of the Guidance and Counselling department in Loreto Secondary School Letterkenny is to help students in the process of making these decisions through guidance classes, activities and individual consultations with students.
Individual Guidance and Counselling
- Counselling in personal difficulties.
- Individual interviews are arranged for subject and career choice decision making.
- Parents are welcome to meet with a guidance counsellor.
- Confidentiality is respected.
- One guidance class per week for 5th and 6th year year students.
- Aptitude testing for incoming 1st year and 5th year students to help pupil and teacher awareness of aptitudes and needs.
- Interest questionnaires as part of career exploration.
- Study techniques.
- Information on course application (CAO, UCAS, PLCs, etc).
- Practice interviews and interview skills.
- Careers library updated each year (prospectus, software, video, etc.)
- Senior students attend the Higher Options conference.
- Visits organised to Open Days in third level colleges.
- Careers afternoon.